Saturday, April 05, 2008

Something to Think About

Good Morning Boardies

As some of you know I am a college student (at MY age imagine that!). School's great and I recommend it to all of you.
Anyway, I am studying to get degrees in counseling and psychology. All the better to serve you with my dears :)

In my psych class this week I learned that self-esteem is determined by one's sense of belonging, not by what one achieves as I previously thought. Of course it is the opinion of the author of my textbook, confirmed by my teacher, based on current research. It does however, ring true for me. How about for you?

Understanding this has brought me wonderful new insight. Just thought you'd like to ponder this for yourselves. love, Rose

2 comments:

c k p said...

we are social creatures by nature... deep down i always felt that it had more to do with a sense of belonging than personal accomplishment... evidenced by the old saying "it's lonely at the top..."

thank you for the insight... i might add that i came very close to pursuing psychology... imagine that... me, typical story of one who people go to for advice but sometimes struggles to take her own...

T said...

Rose,
that is very true. One of the first things I ask people when they have job interview how they felt at theplace. If they say they feel like home,that is the job for them.
I agree belonging is very important.I always felt more at home in Hilo than in HOnolulu.
Love ya,T