Monday, July 14, 2008

Website Creation

Hola Mama!

Hope all is well with you and your family (felines included lol)

My aunt has a friend who wrote a romance novel and they want me to create a website for her so she could promote her and the book. Kewl no worries. But my auntie is insisting I charge her friend, ok I get why lol. She said to charge her friend $500. But her friend already has a: domain name, got the domain name registered,and has hosting company. She said she needs: a web site developer and a web mastering.

My issue is I feel bad about charging so much (or at all) because I am technically not building the website from scratch you know. Just using the templates off the net and just adding and making it look pretty with the information they want on it. I know the one I did for my aunt, she paid me $100 and I still felt kinda bad. I know it's my time sitting there. I guess I'm looking at it wrong. I started a website already for her today, but i dunno if I can really give her what she will be happy with. Anyhoo the question is should I go through with the site and charging her the $500.00?

Muchas Gracias :-)

5 comments:

Kathi said...

I hope you don't mind, Rose. Chiming in here about being paid for services and goods.

Bahamasgal, never underestimate your skills and services. I create and sell jewelry and have had some success with it, yet still feel bad about people wanting to pay for what I've created. It's MY insecurity. And it's something that creative people deal with all the time..."am I really worthy of this money?".

You are! I say go for it...and work hard at making it the best website you've created ever(even if you are using templates)! Wow, what an awesome opportunity. There are many independent women web-designers that make a great living with their creativity.

This is a very inspirational website. There is a section with profiles of women who design websites...

http://anothergirlatplay.com/

Thanks for listening...I'll step off my soapbox now.

bahamasgal said...

Awwe thank you kathi :-)

I understand what you are saying and you are right :-) I think I was kinda feeling like I was cheating her somehow. But I get what you are saying.

I'm gonna check the website link now.

Good luck and continued success with your jewelry business :-)

Rose said...

Aloha Lecia


Yes! Get paid for your work and creativity. $500 is very reasonable.

I agree with Kathi.

love
~R

Kathi said...

Thanks, bahamasgal! That is exactly how I feel...as if I'm cheating my clients. That someone's going to figure out that what I create is inadequate. Insecurities...aggghhhh!

Good luck to you as well!

And thank you, Rose, for allowing me to speak up!

Rose said...

Kathi, this Board belongs to all of us! Each One of us can publish on it freely.

You and Lecia have brought up a good topic here.

I have also had a hard time asking for what I deserve.

I love you, ~R